MSc Scholarships for Study in innovations in vegetable intensified push-pull technology and black soldier fly farming
Deadline for applications: 23rd February 2023
The International Centre of Insect Physiology and Ecology (icipe), Kenya invites applications from suitably qualified candidates for MSc scholarships.
icipe (www.icipe.org) is an African institute and a regional and global leader in research for development in insects and arthropods and their impacts, positive and negative, on food production, human and animal health, environmental sustainability and livelihoods. icipe works across the continent with a network of partners, including universities, NGOs, and the private sector. It has a staff of >500 based in Kenya, Ethiopia, Uganda and Benin. The Centre’s research is structured around four research health themes (Human, Animal, Plant and Environmental Health) and employs a diverse range of science disciplines to achieve impact.
Four (4) MSc positions are available at icipe to work innovations in the vegetable integrated push-pull technology and black soldier fly farming, as a One Health package that will increase production of cereals, the main staples for most households; as well as high-value vegetables, poultry and fish, which will augment the region’s largely starch-based diets, thus countering malnutrition and hidden hunger while protecting the environment.
The four MSc studies are part of the project “Scaling regenerative black soldier fly farming innovations with vegetable push-pull cropping systems for One Health in Rural Kenya, Rwanda and Uganda” granted to the International Centre of Insect Physiology Ecology (icipe) and funded by the IKEA Foundation. This is a four-year project support to icipe and partners to integrate and upscale black soldier fly farming with smallholder vegetable push-pull cropping for better agri-based livelihoods in Kenya, Rwanda and Uganda.
- Four MSc projects are available to nationals of sub-Saharan countries: see List of Projects
- The MSc programme will commence in April 2023.
- A citizen of a country in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Bachelor’s degree with above average results (at least Second Class/Upper Division or equivalent).
- Registered for MSc in a recognized University (or eligible for a full masters by research dissertation as prescribed by the registering University)
- Completed course work/year one of study awaiting research with coursework in the field of natural sciences or other field relevant to the MSc project (see List of Projects).
- Additional requirements may apply depending on the MSc project selected by the applicant. For information on applicant requirements for each available project see List of Projects.
- Completed application form and accompanying supporting documents.
- Good working knowledge of written and spoken English.
- Clearly show motivation and strong commitment.
- Qualified female candidates and candidates from less privileged regions or groups as well as candidates with disabilities are especially encouraged to apply.
A. Download and complete the scholarship Application Form
- To download the Application Form as a doc file click HERE
- To download the Application Form as a docx file click HERE
B. Go to the online application platform by clicking HERE to apply and upload the following documents:
- Completed application form
- Curriculum Vitae (please use the Europass Format: http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu)
- Motivation letter
- Certified copies of official university certificates and transcripts, and any other professional or academic certificates. Please combine into 1 file. If necessary, you may zip the file to make it smaller for uploading. For pdf files, can reduce the size using the online tool at https://smallpdf.com/compress-pdf
- Close-up photograph in colour of your full head and upper shoulders (passport-style photograph)
- Copy of National ID
- For foreign nationals, copy of Passport biodata page (the page that has your picture and personal details)
Closing date for applications 23rd February 2023. Successful candidates will be notified by 21st March 2023.
If you have any questions regarding the MSc Programme or your application to icipe, kindly contact Ms. Vivian Atieno, Capacity Building Officer, icipe. Email firstname.lastname@example.org