The Social Science and Impact Assessment Unit (SSIAU), aims to provide high quality and relevant social science research based evidence to support and guide icipe's technology development and delivery efforts, and the overall goal of sustainably reducing poverty, ensuring food security and improving the overall health status of communities across Africa. The SSIAU implements a wide range of activities to support the decision making, policy direction and priorities of the Centre and various stakeholders including donors, scientists and farmers. SSIAU's activities are centred around the five main areas of research listed, which are all embedded in icipe’s 4-H Themes.
- Monitoring and evaluation, adoption and impact assessment of research for development
- Gender and youth mainstreaming and research analysis for greater impact
- Policies and institutional innovation for technology product supply
- Effective and equitable markets and value chains
- Climate change and environment