ARPPIS-DAAD PhD Scholarships for Study at the International Centre of Insect Physiology and Ecology (icipe), Kenya
Three-Year Doctoral Training in Insect and Related Sciences for Development
Deadline for applications: 31st January 2020
The International Centre of Insect Physiology and Ecology (icipe), Kenya, in partnership with the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD1) In-Country/In-Region PhD Scholarships Programme and African university partners, invites applications from suitably qualified candidates for PhD scholarships in the African Regional Postgraduate Programme in Insect Sciences (ARPPIS).
icipe (www.icipe.org) is an African institute and a regional and global leader in research for development in insects and arthropods and their impacts, positive and negative, on food production and storage, human and animal health, environmental sustainability and livelihoods. icipe works across the continent with a network of partners, including universities, NGOs, and the private sector. It has a staff of >500 based at sites in Kenya, Ethiopia and Uganda. The Centre’s research is structured around four research health themes (Human, Animal, Plant and Environment Health) and employs a diverse range of science disciplines to achieve impact.
African Regional Postgraduate Programme in Insect Sciences (ARPPIS)
The primary objective of the ARPPIS PhD Programme is to prepare young researchers from Africa to compete in internationally competitive research and development environments within national, regional and international research programmes. At icipe ARPPIS scholars are provided with excellent research facilities in an interdisciplinary environment within a structured, three-year PhD programme that includes research, training, developing research partnerships, writing scientific papers and grant proposals, and attending scientific meetings and international conferences. Scholars conduct their innovative research at icipe’s laboratories and field sites located in different agro-ecological zones.
- Six ARPPIS-DAAD PhD scholarships are available to nationals of sub-Saharan countries for the following projects: LIST OF PROJECTS
- The scholarships cover all costs of the PhD programme, including travel, living expenses, medical insurance, university fees and all research and training costs.
- Successful candidates will register with an ARPPIS partner university in Africa after starting the PhD programme at icipe.
- The PhD programme will commence from September 2020.
- A citizen of a country in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Bachelor’s degree with a minimum pass of second-class, upper division.
- Master’s degree, with above average results, taken with both coursework and research in the field of natural sciences or other field relevant to the PhD project (see LIST OF PROJECTS).
- Master’s degree must have been completed less than six years ago at the time of application.
- Additional specific skills requirements may be required depending on the PhD project(s) selected by the candidate. For information on applicant requirements for each project see LIST OF PROJECTS.
- Good working knowledge of English (written & spoken).
- Clearly show motivation and strong commitment.
- Completed application form and accompanying supporting documents.
- Qualified female candidates and candidates from less privileged regions or groups as well as candidates with disabilities are especially encouraged to apply.
- Qualified nationals of French- and Portuguese-speaking countries in Africa are also encouraged to apply.
Full instructions and online application to icipe: LINK
Additionally, once you submit your application to icipe, please send a brief email notification to DAAD stating that you have applied to icipe with the subject “Your Surname_First name_ICIPE” to firstname.lastname@example.org. Do not send your application to DAAD at this time.
Deadline for applications: 31st January 2020
If you have any questions regarding the ARPPIS PhD programme or your application, kindly contact Ms. Vivian Atieno, Capacity Building Officer, icipe, email@example.com Tel: +254 20 863 2272
We look forward to receiving your application.
1 DAAD is the German national agency for the support of international academic cooperation, and offers programmes and funding for students, faculty, researchers and others in higher education. They also represent the German higher education system abroad, promoting Germany as an academic and research destination, and help build links between institutions around the world. For more information, go to http://nairobi.daad.de/en/.